Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lack of Words...Haiti pt. 3

Not even sure how to describe today (Wednesday), because regardless of what words I use they will not paint an accurate enough picture. I've written, deleted, processed and wrestled with my thoughts. We drove to Port-au-Prince today and saw things that I simply don't know how to describe...but I'll try...

- we first visited an orphanage where all 26 kids were sitting outside, out of fear of returning indoors. Two elderly ladies had severe foot infections from untreated cuts. This is gross but I need you to visualize it so you can understand...the top of their feet had giant wounds that were turning white and green. Flys were infesting it and flying all through the cuts. The thing about it is that I guarantee that there are thousands more like them...what do you do?

- we then headed downtown and began to see more and more destruction. Three story buildings were compacted down to a height of four feet. We couldn't see them but knew that bodies were still inside...how are you supposed to feel?

- we saw a man who was completely naked and was just wandering down the side of the road. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have absolutely nothing...another reminder to never complain about my life.

- we turned left after coming down a hill and instantly we were at ground zero. Imagine if you can concrete buildings that must be atleast a hundred years old. They were side by side and had the feel of the French quarter in New Orleans. Everything was destroyed. Black sewage and water ran down the sidestreets and people wandered aimlessly everywhere picking up any peace of scrap they could find. 4,600 prisoners had escaped right after the earthquake and I'm sure many of them had found their way here. Masses of people were in the rubble digging and as soon as someone found something everyone fought for it. At one point we became stuck because a semi was coming toward us, taking up the entire road. Just outside our door fighting and yelling broke out and we all decided at once that it was time to go. This was a place that was filled with darkness, to be honest, it's the closest thing to Hell that I think I will ever see.

- we silently began our drive back to the border and all processed through what we had witnessed. 5 miles from the border we stopped at the "Love A Child" orphanage where they had set up over 100 tents for patients. As we walked through the tents a decent size aftershock hit and all of us took off running...all of the Haitians laughed at us.

Today we saw complete horrific chaos and yet still saw people laughing and filled with hope. I saw joy everywhere I went except for ground zero. I wondered why the people didn't just walk out and start a new life. I was thinking about it and realized that to many of us do the same, we get stuck in darkness and then choose to stay.

Our day started without a plan and yet was filled with more images than I could ever explain. Palmer said a verse came to him as he was lying in bed the night before. He said his Mom used to tell it to him everyday, it went something like this - "I will guide you as you walk throughout your day". That was how our day went, God truley did guide and lead us...this is how our lives should be everyday.

Live Love

No comments: