Saturday, January 30, 2010

Stand Up...Haiti pt. 2

The unknown

I like to know what the plan is.

In most areas of my life I think I'm pretty free-spirited, however when it comes to traveling I like to know what is on the agenda. I don't even care if plans change or I end up going in a completely different, let's just make some sort of a blueprint first. This morning (Tuesday) I found myself struggling with what to do. I didn't have a solid plan for the day and began to feel pretty frustrated with myself. I'm not a doctor or a nurse so I can't help at the clinic (I told a couple of people to get something for me STAT but they just starred at me). I began to wonder if the only purpose for me on this trip was in bringing the medical people here. Let them do their job and get out of the way, after all I did my part by getting them here, right? But then I began to pray (cause I just learned how to do that yesterday) and I asked God to allow me to be apart of
this day ...silly request but I wanted to do more. So here's what I did...I stood up. That's it. I just got to my feet and started walking. I then asked God to open my eyes and to see what needs to be done.

I got a ride with a couple guys to the local airport and unloaded a jet full of medical equipment.

I then rode to the clinic and one of the doctors instantly asked me if I had a screwdriver. I told them I did and then them work on some anoseiziologostical thingy maggiger.

I then went back into the hallway and a doctor asked me to carry a patient in to get x-rayed (from the machine that just came off the plane). I helped them bring in several other kids who had multiple fractures.

I played balloon soccer with a boy who's entire arm was amputated and yet he never stops smiling.

I loaded up 180 food boxes into a flatbed truck so they can bring food to an orphanage in Haiti that has run out of supplies.

I held a girls hand who's leg and arm are still severely broken.I showed a couple of the kids how to take pictures with my iPhone.

I realized that I did a lot today, none of it was on my agenda, but it was still life-changing. I am honored
to go and stand where God wants me. But I also know now that He wants us to simply stand up and follow Him through our days.

Tomorrow is a new day. We are going to the Haitian border town of Jimani and then possibly into Port-au-Prince. I don't know where we will be sleeping, we will be eating food out of our backpacks, and going blindly into the unknown, and I think God is pleased.

Sometimes I think he just wants us to stand up and do more with our lives.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongues but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:18

Live Love

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are truly a gift